Thank you for your interest in Living Independently Forever, Inc. The decision to enroll in an independent residential community is a significant one. The LIFE process reflects this. Admissions decisions are made based on the “compatibility fit” between the applicant and the program. In order to establish this, we have created the following admissions process:
1. Please complete the paper application or create an online application through our portal and submit it to LIFE, Inc. with a non-refundable application fee of $450. This fee also includes the cost of a two day assessment visit on one of our sites, which will assist us all in determining the appropriate “fit” for your child.
2. Please submit the following documents:
• Recent (within 2 years) psycho-education battery that includes a cognitive evaluation, academic assessment, and projective testing.
• Current physical from family physician with a copy of current immunization records
• Reports from the most recent program attended
• Three personal and academic/employment references
• Using the attached form, these should not be completed by family members, but should include teachers, guidance counselors, staff from previous programs, etc. Please include a stamped envelope addressed to LIFE, Inc. when asking individuals to complete them on behalf of the applicant. This will assist the person filling out the Recommendation Form in returning the form to LIFE.
3. Interview and Evaluation:
When the above information is received, a two day assessment visit will be scheduled to take place at one of our communities. This will allow the applicant to participate in a typical day at LIFE, and staff will have the opportunity to determine the applicant’s response to the program and its offerings. The visit will consist of activities like money management, employment, and social interactions. The candidate will have a chance to demonstrate his/her life skills – cooking, laundry, shopping, personal hygiene, etc.
LIFE, Inc admits residents of any race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to residents at LIFE. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational programs, admissions policies, scholarship, or other organization administered programs.
Profile of LIFE Residents
Residents of the LIFE community are at least 19 years of age and lead rewarding and independent lives with supports provided by the LIFE program.Residents at LIFE have:
• A history of learning disabilities
• Independence in basic living skills
• Appropriate behavior in unsupervised settings
• The ability to work or perform a volunteer job
• The desire to cultivate friendships and participate in the LIFE community
• A supportive family member
The LIFE program is not appropriate for individuals with a history of illegal behavior, or alcohol/ substance abuse issues.
Employment and Community Based Day Supports Admissions
At LIFE, Day Supports is comprised of Employment Services and CBDS. CBDS (Community Based Day Supports) is the vehicle by which we help people to move from volunteerism to paid employment. We do not consider it the end of the journey, but a step along the path towards becoming gainfully employed. These services are offered to those living within the LIFE communities as well as those who reside elsewhere.
During CBDS, individuals volunteer at a wide range of places throughout the week based on their unique skills and interests. Along with volunteering, individuals work with our trained staff to engage in a guided Discovery process so that we can learn what works and what doesn’t for someone, their interests, preferred work environment, etc. This information, along with what we see when they are out volunteering and a series of one-time assessments, is utilized to individualize where someone volunteers, and ultimately to obtain a paid position. CBDS runs out of all LIFE locations (Hyannis, Mashpee, Sandwich and Plymouth).
For individuals with paid employment, Employment Services provides people with job coaching services, for as much or as little as they need, for as long as they need. Additionally, Employment Counseling services are available in which the individual can meet with someone to discuss long term career plans, work on travel training, and go over any issues that may arise at work. If you are interested in either of the above mentioned services, please fill out the Employment Referral Form. An Intake will be arranged post receipt of the referral.
To apply for these services please complete the
Employment Referral Form
Director of Admissions
CAN YOU PICTURE
YOURSELF AT LIFE?
Call to schedule a tour: 508.790.3600
LIFE, Inc., 550 Lincoln Road Extension, Hyannis, MA 02601
175 Great Neck Road South, Mashpee, MA 02649
LIFE, Living Independently Forever, Inc., is a non-profit organization, providing supportive services for independent living for adults with learning and intellectual disabilities. LIFE services individuals all across Cape Cod. We have plans for further expansion.